Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship 2022: Microsoft is pleased to announce its Research PhD Fellowships for PhD students at universities globally pursuing research aligned to the Microsoft Research Areas of Focus.
The Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship is a global program that identifies and empowers the next generation of exceptional computing research talents. The Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship program has supported over 700 fellows globally, many of whom have gone on to work at Microsoft. Fellowship Sponsor(s): Microsoft
Host Institution(s): Microsoft
Number of Awards: Several
Study Level: PhD
Duration: Not specified
Nationality: Asia-Pacific, Canada & United States, Latin America, Europe, Middle East & Africa
Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship 2022 | ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
To be eligible for the Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship 2022, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Applicants must be enrolled at a university in the eligible regions.
- Proposed research must be closely related to one of the themes:
- AI/ML/NLP/data science: In many practically useful applications, data is often scarce and biased. Understanding how we work under these settings and deliver useful results has a great impact for many practical problems and gives us deep insights into what it means to learn with data. From practical application such as NLP, to understanding the fairness and generality of results and deepening our understanding of what is feasible with the available data for a particular problem. We’re interested how we work better with the limitations of data.
- Health: Advances in machine learning and AI offer us an opportunity to address the disparities in the access to, and delivery of quality healthcare for all people. We’re interested in understanding and exploring spaces where technology can assist to fill the gap, from assisting healthcare practitioners to perform their roles more effectively, to bridging the last mile to patients, through scaling the delivery and reach of quality healthcare using technology.
- Sustainability: Microsoft’s commitment to sustainability will be achieved by leveraging cloud and artificial intelligence (AI) tools to transform the way we monitor, model and ultimately help in solving environmental challenges facing the globe. If you are a student enrolled in an African University undertaking a PhD program in artificial intelligence, machine learning, statistics or a related field with a focus on solving problems related to sustainability, we would be delighted to receive your application.
- Human-computer interaction: We seek fellows in Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) who will explore Usability and Design questions under the areas of Work, Health and Sustainability & Society. Typically, HCI interns lead and conduct research studies (online or on the ground), usability studies, literature reviews, and design interventions.
- Must be entering their third year or beyond of their PhD program sometime between August 2022 – July 2023.
- Students must continue to be enrolled at the university in the beginning of academic year 2023 or forfeit the award.
- Students submitting a proposal should be able to communicate about their research (both in writing and verbally) in English.
Provisions of the Award
- $15,000 USD is provided to help complete research as part of their doctoral thesis work for academic year 2022–23.
- Eligible recipients will be offered a 12-week paid internship with a Microsoft Research Institute.
- Opportunities will be provided to build relationships with research teams at Microsoft and receive mentorship.
How-to-Apply: Interested applicants for the Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship 2022 are to submit proposals and letters of recommendation for the fellowship before the application deadline. The information below will be required to submit your proposal:
- Your name, email, country, university, and department
- Primary area of research
- Thesis proposal or research statement title
- Month and year entered the PhD program and expected graduation date.
- URL to your professional website (optional, but strongly recommended; you are encouraged to make certain it is up-to-date)
- One to three academic conferences you are most likely to attend
- Self-assessment of the Statement of Good Standing.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Thesis proposal or research statement
- Summary of the Thesis proposal or research statement
Application Deadline: June 07, 2022